Saturday 8 February 2014

Recipe ~ Spicy chick peas

I have been using this simple (and very yummy) recipe for my birds for about two years now and it still goes down a treat. Unlike the last recipe I did, I don't have a photo tutorial for this one but it is so simple you really don't need one! 

Ingredients

- Dry chick peas
- Ground cayenne pepper
- Ground chili peppers

Method

1) Place the chick peas in a bowl and fill generously with water, making sure they're all covered. Leave them to soak for 24 hours

2) Wash the chick peas thoroughly and simmer for 60 minutes 

3) Rinse well with warm water 

4) Sprinkle cayenne pepper and crushed chili peppers in a shallow dish

5) Roll the chick peas over the mix until they are well covered 

And that's it! That's all there is to it. Serve immediately and do not freeze or reheat! You can use a can of chick peas in water as opposed to dry chick peas however you will have to use the whole can (unless you don't mind waste, or can find a way of incorporating them in to your own meal!)

I use them as a training treat for larger birds or I quickly whizz them around the food processor to make a mush for any of the birds. My aviary flock of budgies really enjoy them but they have to be chopped up finely or mushed up as they're just too big to bite into and certainly too big to hold



By all means try them, but they're a little too hot for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment